Noel Hendrickson / iStock.com
The Department of Human Services (DHS) administers SNAP in Illinois, which helps low-income households buy the foods they need to stay healthy. Illinois SNAP recipients can expect their benefit payments to be deposited monthly to the Illinois Link card. SNAP benefits follow the same deposit schedule each month, including November 2022.
Learn: 21 states extend emergency SNAP benefit through November 2022
Find: If Your Credit Score Is Below 740, Do These 4 Moves Now
Link cards are issued once approved for Illinois DHS benefits. The Illinois Link Card is accepted at most grocery stores and over 9,000 retailers in Illinois. Look for an Illinois Link map display or a sign that says “Illinois Link Accepted Here.”
You can use the Illinois Link Card to purchase:
- Fruits and vegetables
- Meat, poultry and fish
- Dairy products
- Breads and cereals
- Snacks and soft drinks
- Seeds and plants, which produce food for the household
The US Department of Agriculture has restrictions on how you can use your SNAP benefits. Some of the items you cannot purchase with SNAP benefits include alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, vitamins, drugs, supplements, live animals, pet food, cleaning products, paper and cosmetics.
There are other ways to save money using your Illinois Link card. Here are discounts or free services available to SNAP recipients to use in November:
- Amazon Prime: Illinois SNAP recipients can sign up for an Amazon Prime EBT discount for $6.99 per month, which is 50% off the regular price.
- Computers/internet/mobile phones: Through the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), eligible SNAP recipients in Illinois could receive up to $30 per month off internet service, plus a $100 credit for a laptop, tablet, or computer. eligible desktop computer. The federal Lifeline program, which offers up to $9.25 off your mobile phone bill or home broadband Internet service, can also be combined with the ACP discount.
- Museums/zoos/aquariums: The National Museums for All initiative offers Link cardholders free or discounted admission to hundreds of museums, aquariums and zoos across the country.
- Restaurant Meal Schedule: In Illinois, you can also use your Link Card to purchase hot meals through the Restaurant Meals Program (RMP). Not all restaurants are part of the RMP, so be sure to call and ask before trying to purchase a meal with your Link card.
The date on which payments are deposited to your Link Card depends on the last digit of your file number. If you had a SNAP case that was converted from an older case, you will keep your old availability date of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 13th, 17th or 20th.
See: Can you collect Social Security and qualify for food stamps?
Food stamps: what is the maximum SNAP EBT benefit for 2023?
Benefits for new cases are deposited between the 1st and 10th of each month. The date on which you receive the benefits depends on the last digit of the individual identification number of the head of household.
Here is the November 2022 filing schedule for new cases on the Illinois Link system:
|The individual number of the IES head of household ends with:||Newly Approved Case Benefit Availability Dates:|
Regular Rollover benefits are available at 3:00 a.m. on the same date each month, including holidays and weekends.
More from GOBankingRates