Link site

Investigators link injuries from fire on Christmas Day to lack of working smoke detectors

BATON ROUGE, Louisiana (WAFB) – Unattended cooking is the cause of the Christmas morning house fire that seriously injured two people and displaced 10 others on Skysail Avenue, according to St. George Fire.

Eldon Ledoux, spokesperson for the St. George Fire Protection District, said they also determined that the smoke detectors in both apartments were inoperative and that some smoke detectors were removed before the fire. and were not found at the scene.

The lack of working smoke detectors contributed to the circumstances that resulted in two of the residents suffering severe burns, he said.

RELATED: 2 seriously injured, 10 displaced after house fire on Christmas morning

Officials said an adult and a child suffered serious burns and were immediately treated on site by paramedics from St. George and transported to Baton Rouge General, Bluebonnet by East Baton Rouge EMS. The two apartments were made uninhabitable and a total of 12 people were displaced.

The St. George Fire Protection District urged residents to heed the following important safety reminders regarding smoke detectors, home evacuation planning, and cooking safety.

Click here to report a typo.

Copyright 2021 WAFB. All rights reserved.