Chocolate maker Ferrero is recalling certain batches of Kinder Surprise eggs in the UK due to a link to salmonella, the Food Standards Agency (FSA) has said.
In an alert, the FSA said: “This is linked to a potential link to an outbreak of salmonella. A number of these cases were in young children.
Investigations by the UK Health Safety Agency (UKHSA), Public Health Scotland, Public Health Wales and Public Health Agency Northern Ireland have linked reported cases of salmonella poisoning in the UK to Kinder eggs .
The affected products are 20g eggs or three-egg packs with an expiry date between July 11 and October 7, 2022.
As a precaution, Ferrero has recalled the products and people are advised not to eat them. The FSA said the eggs were all made in the same factory. Other Ferrero products are not affected.
Anyone who has purchased products within the specified date range can contact Ferrero Consumer Services at [email protected] or by calling 0330 053 8943 for a full refund.
Symptoms of salmonella include diarrhea, stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting, and fever. While most cases resolve within a few days, symptoms can be severe and lead to hospitalization, especially in the very young and those with weakened immune systems.
Tina Potter, Incident Manager at the FSA, said: “We welcome the precautionary approach taken by Ferrero and advise consumers not to consume any of the products listed in the FSA alert. It is really important that consumers follow these tips to avoid the risk of contracting salmonella poisoning.
“We know that these particular products are popular with young children, particularly in the run up to Easter, so we urge parents and guardians of children to check if any products already in their homes are affected by this recall.
“The food company involved has voluntarily withdrawn and recalled this product and we are working closely with them and their relevant authorities to identify the specific cause of this outbreak.”
UKHSA’s Dr Lesley Larkin said: “Anyone concerned that they may have symptoms of salmonellosis should contact their GP or call NHS 111.
“Salmonella can be passed from person to person, so anyone affected should adhere to good hygiene practices, such as washing their hands thoroughly after using the toilet and avoiding handling food for others. if possible, if you have symptoms.”