Link share

Motorists stuck in a massive traffic jam at Tuas Second Link on October 17, likely due to rain

Heavy traffic on the second route from Tuas to Singapore on October 17

On a rainy Monday morning (October 17), thousands of motorists traveling from Johor Bahru (JB) to Singapore were trapped in a massive traffic jam along the Tuas Second Link.

Source: Facebook

Some of them were reportedly stuck in traffic for up to four hours before finally arriving in Singapore.

According to the Oriental Daily, the heavy traffic was suspected to be caused by a technical problem at Singapore Customs.

However, the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) clarified that there were no technical problems that morning.

Massive jam at Tuas Second Link

Since dawn on October 17, motorists have taken to Facebook to share massive traffic jams along Tuas Second Link.

At 6:05 a.m., the road was already crowded with vehicles, and the estimated time needed to reach Singapore was 65 to 100 minutes.

By 7 a.m., the duration had increased from 80 to 115 minutes.

massive jam second link

Source: Facebook

As the morning wore on, the traffic grew heavier and heavier. The estimated time to get to Singapore at 8am was between 105 and 160 minutes.

Around 9 a.m., a netizen shared a video showing traffic at a standstill. She said the vehicles hadn’t moved since 7 a.m.

Even at 10 a.m., traffic was still extremely congested.

massive jam second link

Source: One Motoring

A large number of motorcycles, cars and heavy vehicles were seen on the road.

Motorists stuck in traffic jams for up to 4 hours

A Malaysian, Mr. Zou, had left for Singapore at 5:50 a.m. on his motorbike.

It took him three hours to successfully cross the Tuas Second Link.

Speaking to Oriental Daily, he claimed there were technical problems at the Singapore checkpoint which left everyone stuck in long queues.

To make matters worse, it was also raining at that time. As a result, motorists were all trapped in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Mr Zou went on to say that his wife also took the Tuas Second Link to Singapore by car. It took him nearly four hours to clear customs.

Another Malaysian worker said he started his trip to Singapore at 6:15 a.m. but did not arrive at his workplace until 9:50 a.m.

The ICA says the traffic jam was likely due to rain

In a widely shared Facebook post, one man called Singapore’s fingerprint immigration system “cheap and unnecessary”.

In response to this, one netizen pointed out that it’s not that the system is down.

There may be so many Malaysians working in Singapore that even the computers just can’t handle it.

massive jam second link

Source: Facebook

Another user urged people not to complain about either country’s system. He went on to say that with the huge crowds every day, technical errors are inevitable.

Source: Facebook

Talk to MS Newsan ICA spokesperson said there were no technical errors on the morning of October 17. The blockage was probably due to rain.

So if you are planning to travel between Singapore and JB, check the One Motoring website for traffic conditions before embarking on your journey.

Do you have news to share? Contact us by email at [email protected]

Featured image adapted from Facebook and Facebook.