Link site

Police link possible Stockton, Calif. serial killer to 7 shootings: NPR

Stockton Police Department officials released this undated surveillance image of a person of interest. The figure appears to match the description of the sole surviving victim of a suspected serial killer who fatally shot six people.

PA


hide caption

toggle caption

PA


Stockton Police Department officials released this undated surveillance image of a person of interest. The figure appears to match the description of the sole surviving victim of a suspected serial killer who fatally shot six people.

PA

Stockton Police have now linked seven shootings – six dead – to a possible Californian serial killer still at large.

Officials confirmed the series of seemingly random killings began in April last year – more than a year earlier than previously thought – and warned there could be more victims.

Police have linked the seven shootings by using ballistics evidence and matching it to a statewide database, as well as surveillance video footage from some of the crime scenes.

“So as the investigation continues, it’s certainly possible there may be more,” Stockton Police Public Information Officer Joe Silva told NPR.

A team of detectives are combing through old shooting murders for potential links to the recent spate of violence, according to Silva. The department also called on other local precincts to review their own match cases.

Survivor gives few details about shooter and police have few hard leads

Last week, authorities said a serial killer may be responsible for the recent shooting deaths that shook the people of Stockton, occurred between July 8 and September 27. They also said that the victims were all male within the city limits. But now, New information indicates that a 40-year-old Hispanic man, who was fatally shot on April 10, 2021 in Oakland, is linked to the most recent shootings.

This would be the first of the serial murders outside of Stockton.

Additionally, police have linked the April 16, 2021 shooting of a 46-year-old black woman in Stockton to the suspect. Unlike other victims, she is the only person to survive her injuries and the only woman who appears to have been targeted.

“Our detectives worked with her to find out as much as possible,” Silva said, noting that it’s possible there was more than one shooter involved in the series of homicides.

“She described her shooter as a male of unknown race, 5’10” to 6 feet tall with a thin build,” Silva said. On the day of the attack, he wore a dark-colored sweatshirt with the hood raised over his head, dark pants and a black face mask.

“What’s weird is that even though we’re working around the clock and getting a lot of calls and advice, we currently don’t have any actionable leads,” Silva said.

Authorities release video footage of person of interest

Stockton Police are working alongside several local and federal agencies to identify and capture the perpetrator(s), including the FBI, California Highway Patrol, several local sheriff’s departments, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The five victims who have been killed in recent months have been identified by the San Joaquin County Medical Examiner’s Office: Paul Yaw, 35, who was killed July 8; Salvador Debudey Jr., 43, died August 11; Jonathan Hernandez Rodriguez, 21, shot and killed Aug. 30; Juan Cruz, 52, the victim of September 21; and Lawrence Lopez Sr., 54, who was killed Sept. 27.

After reviewing many hours of CCTV, investigators believe they have located a “person of interest“, the department announced in a statement that included a grainy screenshot of an unidentified person wearing a dark hoodie and dark pants. On Tuesday, officials released a short video of the same personwhose face is never captured by the camera.

In all cases, including the Oakland incident and the attack on the woman last year, Silva said all of the victims were out late at night or early in the morning, alone and in poorly lit areas. .

“That’s when they were ambushed,” he said. None of the cases involved robbery or were suspected of being gang-related, he added.

Police are urging the public to contact the department with information relating to the murders. As of Tuesday, there is a $125,000 reward for information leading to an arrest.